Chrysler Corporation was created in 1925 .
General Motors, Ford Motor Company, and Fiat Chrysler Automobiles US are often referred to as the "Big Three" , being the largest automakers in the United States. They were for a while the largest in the world and two of them are still a mainstay in the top five. The Big Three are also distinguished not just by their size and geography, but also by their business model. All three have their headquarters in the Detroit area. The majority of their operations are unionized with the United Auto Workers and Canadian Auto Workers.
Detroit Arsenal (DTA) , formerly Detroit Arsenal Tank Plant (DATP) was the first manufacturing plant ever built for the mass production of tanks in the United States. Established in 1940 under Chrysler, this plant was owned by the U.S. government until 1996. It was designed by architect Albert Kahn. The building was designed originally as a "dual production facility, so that it could make armaments and be turned into peaceful production at war's end. Notwithstanding its name, the 113-acre (0.46 km2) site was located in Warren, Michigan, Detroit's largest suburb.
The United States Army TACOM Life Cycle Management Command (LCMC), formerly known as Tank-automotive and Armaments Command (TACOM), headquartered at the Detroit Arsenal in Warren, Michigan, is part of the United States Army Materiel Command (AMC). It generates, provides, and sustains mobility, lethality, and survivability for soldiers, other branches of the U.S. armed forces, and allies, to ensure Army readiness. TACOM's military and civilian employees find and implement technology and logistics solutions for the soldier. From tank-automotive and armaments weapons systems research and development, through procurement and fielding, to sustainment and retirement, TACOM's employees provide "cradle-to-grave" support to America's armed forces.

Chrysler Corporation was working on from the 1930s into the 1960s were equally cutting edge, even if many of them never saw the light of day.
The Dodge family of light trucks had been a vital component in WWII, but changes in the battlefield and automotive technology had put them behind the current and projected technology curve. Chrysler began work on a replacement for the WWII W-series trucks in July of 1944, by most published reports, with a rig called the T233. The T number was Chrysler Trucks internal nomenclature system, and because it was a military development, it was also given a GI T experimental number, in this case T-47. The goal of the project was a modular truck that could be quickly reconfigured for different roles. In just a few minutes it could transition from a 3/4-ton cargo truck to a four-seat command and reconnaissance vehicle. Presumably other presto-chango roles were envisioned and the chassis was largely the same as what had been used for the W-Series Dodges for the war.
The next development was the T53 (Chrysler T237), which started in 1947. Three were built by 1949 and tested at the Aberdeen Proving Ground, doing extremely well.
As the T53 was being tested, another major adaptation was developed called the T53E1.
Like the T53, the T53E1 performed well and proved durable but cheap, it was not. Ultimately, it was found that a lesser rig like the M37 could do 80 percent of what the T53 was capable of and cost half as much. As a result, the T53 projects were discontinued, though many of the developments went on to be featured in other rigs. We all know torsion bar suspension played a big part in Chrysler cars for many years. The independent suspension was recycled to a degree in the 1970s when Chrysler competed for a contract in the development of another new military vehicle type, the HMMWV (High Mobility Multipurpose Wheeled Vehicle).
(Land Locomotion Mechanical Vehicle Mobility LL-MVM) Home