U.S. Marine Corps International Vehicle

International M-2-4 truck. 1941
Driver field testing an International M-2-4 truck manufactured at International Harvester's Springfield Works for the U.S. Marine Corps.
U.S. Marine Corps International Vehicle.
International 1 1/2 ton cargo M-3-4 M.T. truck. 1941
Driver's side view of an International 1 1/2 ton cargo M-3-4 M.T. truck. The truck was sold to the U.S. Marine Corps.
IH US Marines 4x4
FWD also developed a special car for the US Marine Corps.
Prime Mover (FWD SU-COE Special) based on the SU-COE truck, built from 1940-43 only for the US Marine Corps in the Pacific Theatre.
International Harvester started producing motor vehicles with the "Auto Buggy" in 1907, and built the first 100 at the McCormick Works in Chicago, IL, before moving production to Akron, OH in 1908. Production moved once again in 1922 to Springfield, OH with a second plant added in Fort Wayne, IN a year later. The 13,622 M4 Half Tracks were built at the Springfield facility from October 1942 through January 1944. Most of the trucks built by International were used by the Navy or Marine Corps or became part of the Lend-Lease program.
The International Harvester M-2-4 One Ton Cargo Truck was produced for the U.S. Navy and Marine Corps starting in 1941, replacing the very similar IH M-1-4 1/2 Ton 4x4 Cargo Truck. A total of about 10,500 were built, both with and w/o PTO winches. These trucks are powered by the International GRD-233C 6 cyl, 93hp engine mated to the H-41 4-speed transmission and 2-speed transfer case.
The M-2-4 vehicle had no cab, only a folding one-piece windshield. The rear area had removable, transverse cargo seats and a kit was provided with top bows and canvas. The rear canvas also had a flap that extended to the windshield to provide a rain fly for the two forward bucket seats.
The M-2-4 One Ton 4x4 Cargo Truck is equipped with both lifting rings and tow hooks, visible in some of the photos. A tool box is mounted on the left side, behind the end of the running board. A spare tire mounts to the cargo box, vertically on the right side.
Many variations have been noted. Some early production models had closed civilian cabs and civilian instruments. The front bumper may be a simple rectangular shape or may have a rectangular notch on the lower edge, center (perhaps related to the winch?). The brush guard may have a center section plus wings to protect the fender mounted lights, with a small step between them at the top, as in the second photo below. Alternatively, the brush guard may have a smooth curve across the top, including the lights sections, as in the bottom photo below. Vintage photos show both single windshield wiper arms and dual arms. Rear wheels may be single or duals. To help distinguish from other similar trucks, there are 18 or 20 louvers on each side of the engine compartment and the radiator cap is offset to the passenger side. The spare tire on the M-2-4 One Ton Cargo Truck was mounted lower than on the M-1-4 Half Ton truck.
International also produced a stretched variant, the 1.5 ton M-3-6. That truck is quite similar to the M-2-4 but has two rear axles, making it a 6x6. Only a very small number of M-3-6 trucks were manufactured.
¬недорожные транспортные средства (Land Locomotion Ц Mechanical Vehicle Mobility LL-MVM) Home