Identical model Saurer 2DM truck |
Osterreichische Saurer Offroad Truck
Saurer Offroad Truck
Adolph Saurer AG based in Arbon, Switzerland was a manufacturer of trucks and buses under the Saurer and Berna (beginning in 1929) brand names, active between 1903 and 1982. Their vehicles were widely used across mainland Europe, particularly in the interwar period.
The Saurer 2 DM is a truck model, which established the Adolph Saurer AG from 1959. The payload of 4.9 tonnes, it is a right hand drive. The Swiss army he began in 1964, in several special types, such as dump trucks, snow plows or tanker aircraft. Almost identical to the model was 2VM of Berna. The 2DM was also sold for civilian purposes.
Almost identical was the model Berna 2VM from Berna Olten. 1982 Zusammenschluss von Saurer mit der Franz Brozincevic & Cie Wetzikon (FBW) zur Nutzfahrzeuggesellschaft Arbon & Wetzikon (NAW). Daimler-Benz war mit 40% beteiligt Saurer combined with another Swiss firm, FBW, in the early 1980's to form Nutzfahrzeuggesellschaft Arbon %26 Wetzikon, and it was this concern that was consumed by the Daimler Benz Empire. Below you'll find a photo of the 10,000th truck to come from the Mercedes/NAW factory, and as you said it is an eight-legger
In 1853 Franz Saurer (1806Ц1882) from Veringenstadt in Germany established an iron foundry for household goods near the Swiss town of Sankt Gallen. In 1863 he started production of Jacquard sewing machines in Arbon, from 1869 together with his sons as company associates of F. Saurer & Sohne. In 1896 his eldest surviving son Adolph Saurer (1841Ц1920) took over the company. He and his son Hippolyt (1878Ц1936) developed the enterprise as a joint-stock company.
From 1896 Saurer also manufactured petrol engines and the next year Hippolyt Saurer initiated the production of a phaeton body automobile run by a one-cylinder opposed-piston engine. In 1902 a first four-cylinder T-head engine model with touring car and sedan chassis was built.
From 1903 onwards Saurer concentrated on the production of commercial vehicles which soon gained a good reputation. The company ran subsidiary companies in Austria (1906Ц1959, in the end taken over by Steyr-Daimler-Puch), France (1910Ц1956, taken over by Unic), the United Kingdom (1927Ц1931, taken over by Armstrong Whitworth), and in Germany (1915Ц1918, taken over by MAN). In Italy, the Officine Meccaniche (OM) manufacturer was for many years licensee of Saurer engines and other mechanical units, which they used in their own ranges of trucks and buses. In Poland the state-owned Panstwowe Zaklady Inzynieryjne produced license-built Saurer engines (powering, among others, the 7TP and 9TP tanks) and coach chassis used in the Zawrat bus.
In the United States, the Saurer Motor Truck Company, headed by C.P. Coleman, had the rights to manufacture and sell heavy trucks under the Saurer brand name at its plant in Plainfield, New Jersey (which commenced operations in November 1911). On September 23, 1911 the Saurer Motor Truck Company merged with the Mack Brothers Motor Car Company of Allentown, Pennsylvania, headed by J. M. Mack, to form the International Motor Truck Company (IMTC). IMTC would continue to make and sell trucks using the Saurer name until 1918. In 1922 IMTC would become Mack Trucks, Inc.
Saurer trucks were developed along the years into four basic ranges:
A-type (1918) B-type (1926) C-type (1934) D-type (1959)
It was the B-type that established Saurer's international reputation as a builder of long-lasting trucks.
In 1929 Saurer acquired its Swiss rival, Motorwagenfabrik Berna AG of Olten, but the Berna name was allowed to continue, badging the very same Saurer models.
From 1932 on, trolleybuses were a very significant segment of Saurer production. Typically Saurer, or Berna, trolleybuses featured Brown, Boveri & Cie or Societe Anonyme des Ateliers de Secheron (SAAS) electric equipment and Carrosserie Hess bodies. Saurer trolleybuses operated in most of Central Europe countries, and still do in several of them.
In World War 2 a restructured type BT 4500 and 5 BHw of Saurer trucks were used to gas people in the Nazi Chelmno extermination camp.
|¬недорожные транспортные средства (Land Locomotion Ц Mechanical Vehicle Mobility LL-MVM) Home|